1. Welcome to the CAS forums. If Astronomy interests you beyond an Outreach visit to our observatory, please Sign Up Now to see more of our website and take part in the Astronomy discussions.
    CAS Members must register on this website if you wish to be updated with Society activity & News

Event: [Apr 18, 2017] CAS Monthly Meeting (Christchurch, Canterbury)

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by CAS Admin, Mar 14, 2017.

CAS Monthly Meeting
Posted By CAS Admin

Room 275 Biology Building, University of Canterbury
Biology, Ilam, Christchurch 8041, New Zealand
Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 07:30 PM
(ends Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 09:00 PM)
Timezone: Pacific/Auckland

Keywords

Upcoming Occurrences

All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Pacific/Auckland

Linked Occurence:
Start: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 07:30 PM
End: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 09:00 PM
Upcoming Occurrences:
This event does not have any/other upcoming occurrences...
  1. CAS Admin

CAS Admin Administrator CAS Member CAS Committee

Dr Chris Gordon, Physicist and Senior Lecturer, University of Canterbury
    “What’s causing the excess gamma rays from the Galactic Centre?”

“Recently, the Fermi Large Area Telescope has observed an excess of gamma rays coming from the Galactic Centre. I will discuss the possible causes of this excess. The most likely one being that it is an unresolved population of millisecond pulsars. But a more exotic explanation is that it could be the first signs of dark matter self-annihilating.”

The CAS monthly meeting is held at 7:30pm on the 3rd Tuesday of the month (except December and January), in room 275 of the Biology building of the University of Canterbury School of Biological Sciences. Any member of the public who is considering joining the Society or who has an interest in the subject being discussed is welcome to attend the meeting.

Meetings will begin at 8:00 p.m. sharp. The meeting will be preceded by a tea-and-biscuits session from 7:30pm.
    We hope that this change will help keep the meetings short, while still allow time to chat.

2. CAS Admin

With the Easter Holidays drawing to a close, don't forget our members meeting tonight. You'd be especially welcome if you have recently joined or are thinking of joining CAS as a member. We look forward to seeing you.

3. Heather Skinner

Heather Skinner Well-Known Member CAS Member

What a twit!!! I completely forgot it was a CAS night; here I am sitting in my jarmies at turned 8pm;--too late now. I would arrive when everyone was about to go home.... Not happy with myself! :((n)

4. CAS Admin

Oh no! We're missing you. :cry:
    Don't forget you can add these events into your computer calendar for reminders. Look under tools at the top.

5. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member CAS Member

Hi, this message is for @Carol. I was at the meeting tonight and meant to get a registration form off @Carol for Dunedin. I would like to go and travel down with Carol and share petrol, accommodation etc. I have no way of contacting Carol apart from this site. I hope to get out to West Melton on Saturday night so if their is still room available for me to come with you Carol, perhaps you could give the form to register.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  6. Carol

Carol Well-Known Member CAS Member CAS Committee

Hi Karen, that will be great. The registration form is on RASNZ website and you can just fill it in with your details and whether you want to go to the Conference dinner which is extra (I am going as they have included a planetarium visit in as well).

CAS Admin likes this.
  7. CAS Admin

8. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member CAS Member

Hi Carol, I have checked RASNZ website and also want to visit the planetarium, plus the dinner as the two are included. Are you attending the full conference or part conference( ie Saturday only, Sunday only)? The website states a $20 late fee for registrations after April 12. I think that I pay $275 for full conference and dinner. Also will add the $20 on to that if required. I would like to do the same as you, as I would be totally lost on my own. Thanks for your helpful reply, will register after I hear from you. Plus I have sent you a txt with my contact details.