1. Welcome to the CAS forums. If Astronomy interests you beyond an Outreach visit to our observatory, please Sign Up Now to see more of our website and take part in the Astronomy discussions.
    CAS Members must register on this website if you wish to be updated with Society activity & News

Event: [Apr 22, 2017] CAS Members Practical Astronomy (West Melton, Canterbury)

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by CAS Admin, Apr 13, 2017.

CAS Members Practical Astronomy
Posted By CAS Admin

R.F. Joyce Observatory
218 Bells Rd, Mcleans Island, West Melton 7671, New Zealand
Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 07:30 PM
(ends Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 09:00 PM)
Timezone: Pacific/Auckland

Keywords

Upcoming Occurrences

All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Pacific/Auckland

Linked Occurence:
Start: Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 07:30 PM
End: Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 09:00 PM
Upcoming Occurrences:
This event does not have any/other upcoming occurrences...
  1. CAS Admin

CAS Admin Administrator CAS Member CAS Committee

Our 2nd practical astronomy night. @Rob Glassey intends to continue his talks that focus on the highlights of different parts of the sky, or different types of astronomical objects, then we can follow this up on the night with actual observing (weather permitting). We have a wide variety of telescopes available to use, and of course you can bring your own, and get advice and tips on how to get the best out of it. Most objects should be visible through even the most compact telescopes.

Being at the observatory opens up a wide variety of other practical topics, including polar alignment, goto scopes, different types of telescopes, binocular viewing, collimation, photography, outreach, and learning to use, and becoming accredited on the societies permanent telescopes.

We hope that by providing more structure and support around members nights, that more members, especially new members, will be able to enjoy observing as part of a group, and become more confident and experienced with their own telescope.

It is anticipated that the talk itself will not be weather dependent, but the observing afterwards will be.
    We also hope to use this forum to help coordinate lifts out to the observatory on the Saturday evening.

So come along on the members nights, enjoy the talk, and enjoy some actual observing.

Please note that this is NOT a PUBLIC EVENT. The observatory is ONLY open for CAS Members and those interested in becoming CAS Members

Jalene Woolcott likes this.
  2. CAS Admin

Saturdays session is going to be a BYO practical telescope session. Bring your own small device or use one of the society's and get to know your night sky. This is a great opportunity for our younger members too for those of you with family membership.

Karen likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member CAS Member

Hi All, Really enjoyed my night at the Observatory, thanks to everyone for helping find my way around the night sky, it was my first time using my telescope out there and I wasn't disappointed. I think that I dropped one of my bino caps on the ground either on the second mound or walking back to my car near the driveway. I need to get a decent red light so that I can see what I'm doing.If anyone is out there in the daytime I would be most appreciative if you find it.

CAS Admin likes this.
  4. CAS Admin

Decent red lights available from the warehouse energiser stand

Spencer Lintott and Karen like this.
  5. Karen

Thank you I will get one

6. Karen

Thanks again,I bought one from the energiser stand, also went out to Observatory and checked the ground and found my bino cap on the second mound beside where I had my scope. I will be more careful in the future.

CAS Admin likes this.