1. Welcome to the CAS forums. If Astronomy interests you beyond an Outreach visit to our observatory, please Sign Up Now to see more of our website and take part in the Astronomy discussions.
    CAS Members must register on this website if you wish to be updated with Society activity & News

Event: [Oct 13, 2017] Aoraki Mackenzie Starlight Festival (Canterbury)

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by CAS Admin, Nov 3, 2016.

Aoraki Mackenzie Starlight Festival
Posted By CAS Admin

The Hermiage
Mt Cook, Canterbury 7999, New Zealand
Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:00 PM
(ends Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 06:00 PM)
Timezone: Pacific/Auckland

Keywords

Upcoming Occurrences

All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Pacific/Auckland

Start: Friday, October 13, 2017 - 12:00 PM
End: Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 06:00 PM
  1. CAS Admin

CAS Admin Administrator CAS Member CAS Committee

The 2017 Aoraki Mackenzie Starlight Festival will take place at The Hermitage, Mt Cook Village, NZ (with some events at neighbouring venues, including Mt Cook airport and Lake Pukaki)
    Friday 13 October 2017 to Sunday 15 October 2017.The Festival will celebrate the creation of the southern hemisphere’s first International Dark Sky Reserve.
    The Festival will comprise a mix of scientific, educational and cultural events over three days, designed to attract school students, family groups and members of the public and astro-tourists and stargazers from overseas who are interested in learning more about the stars, the night sky, the problems of light pollution and the appreciation of the environment and outer space. The events will include stargazing, lectures, a concert, an essay and poetry competition, documentaries on the night sky, a photographic exhibition, and more. Some events will be free, while others will have a nominal charge (tickets will be on sale from mid- 2017).

The main Festival venue will be the Hermitage, Mt Cook village in the Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park, including at the Hillary Alpine Centre and Planetarium. Some events may be at nearby venues at Mt Cook, at Lake Pukaki or at the University of Canterbury Mt John Observatory, Lake Tekapo.

Organised by The Aoraki Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve Board, in partnership with the University of Canterbury.

Heather Skinner likes this.
  2. Heather Skinner

Heather Skinner Well-Known Member CAS Member

Hope perhaps some car-pooling may be possible???--- share expenses.. also, I do not 'shop' online, so if I do go, perhaps I can pay [up front] for someone to buy some tickets to some events for me????

3. Spencer Lintott

Spencer Lintott CAS Secretary CAS Member CAS Committee

I am interested in going, I have a mid-large sedan and can take (car-pooling) perhaps 2 other members, their telescopes and their bags.

Has anyone been investigating accommodation?

4. CAS Admin

Yes, it's in the members topic

5. CAS Admin

HI CAS!!!
    Check out the programme for the 2017 Starlight Festival under the stunning Aoraki Mackenzie dark skies @ Mt Cook. Tickets on sale now! http://www.starlightfestival.org.nz/ Keynote Speakers Dr Natalie Batalha is a Kepler Mission scientist responsible for the extraordinarily successful Kepler satellite’s program to detect Earth-like exoplanets that potentially can sustain life. She is now also working on the James Webb Space Telescope, Sze-leung Cheung is IAU International Outreach Coordinator heading the International Astronomical union’s Office for Astronomy Outreach in Tokyo. His job is to coordinate and provide support to the worldwide astronomical communities, to help them to make astronomy accessible to a wider public. Kevin Govender began work at the International Astronomical Union’s Office of Astronomy for Development (OAD) in Cape Town, South Africa in March 2011 as its first Director. He has extensive experience using astronomy for development during his previous position as the Manager of the Collateral Benefits Programme at the South African Astronomical Observatory. He will talk at the Starlight Festival about the inspiration of the starlit skies to inspire young people to reach their potential through science and education. http://www.starlightfestival.org.nz/ #lightsdownnotup #skyglow #skyglowproject #savethestars #stoplightpollution #stargazing #AMSFestival #exoplanets #stars #NASA #NatalieBatalha #bigskystargazingmtcook #leecook #markgee #theartofnight #IAU #skyscapenz #sciencealivenz #starlightfestival #hermitagemtcook #mackenzieNZ #nzmustdo #aorakimtcook #mtcook #nz_mackenzie #astronomy #astrophotography #theartofnight #universityofcanterbury #mtcookretreat #lakestonelodge #sciencealive #skyscape #100purenz #bigskystargazing #nz_starlightfestival #darkskyreserve #aorakimackenziedarkskyreserve

6. Heather Skinner

Whoever is in charge of making bookings, please let me know before you do make a booking.. I will assess how things are with mum, and may not be going,- family first...

7. Heather Skinner

I think this will not be a good time for me to go,- so I will say, -for this time,---Not going...